It has been said that it takes 21 days to create a new habit. Three weeks huh? Less than a month huh? So you are telling me that I can change a bad habit or introduce a new more positive habit into my daily life in only a few weeks? Well how about you test that theory and let me know how you do. I mean its worth a try isnt it? If you have been struggling with your weight, eating habits, making time for the gym, or even getting enough sleep, how about you make it a priority for the next 21 days to change that negative action into a positive one. Here are your action steps to get you going on creating that postive change in your life.
1. You need to set a goal. Why are you doing this? Decide what your goal is, write it down, and read it first thing in the morning and last thing at night for the next 3 weeks. This will be the key to your success. Make your goal specific. Dont just say, ” My goal is to lose weight” or “My goal is to exercise”. Make specific goals like drinking more water, eliminating fried foods, eating more vegetables,working out 4-5 times a week or getting to bed by 10pm every night. These are process goals that will allow you to stay focused and have a residual affect. Weight loss, better health, more energy are all by products of these process goals.
2. You need a reward. Something you really want or want to do. Willpower alone will not get you to your goal. You need a reason to push through the challenges. What’s your reward going to be? Write it down with your goals, and read it every morning and night as well.
3. Pick 5 affirmations that you feel really good about when you read them. Again, write them down and read them morning and night. Nothing is better than starting and ending your day on the right foot. BE UNSTOPPABLE!
4. Be open-minded. Don’t view the next 3 weeks as a time you will be depriving yourself ; look at it as a challenge that you CAN and WILL achieve no matter what it takes! Don’t you deserve that? If you come into this challenge with a negative attitude you will get more negative out of it. You Get what you Give. You are doing this for a reason, think positive and kick the negative attitude to the curb.
5. Last thing to think about…
“The only limits we have are the ones we put on ourselves.”
Leave me a comment and let me know what habit you will be forming in the next 21 Days.
Always Keepin it Real
Percy Bass RD,LD,CPT
Owner of Head 2 Toe Fitness and Nutrition, H2T Fitness Studio