So I was at one of my best friend’s wedding a couple of weeks ago and I was going through the line to get something to eat at the rehearsal dinner and the Bride to be said to me “Now I know that is not on a Head 2 Toe Diet.” So I laughed that off and kept on getting my food. Then at the reception dinner I was standing in line to get me some wedding cake and another lady who knew I was a dietitian said, “Well if Mr. Nutrition is having some cake, then It must be ok for me to have some too.” I just smiled and played that comment off as well and kept on to get my piece of cake.
Being in a position where I constantly coach people how to eat right and exercise right, I always find myself under the microscope when I am out eating with people. Ok let me clear something up. I am not perfect when it comes to eating, and neither are you. Real Talk. The only difference in me eating that piece of cake and you eating that piece of cake is that I earned it and you didn’t. Now I know you are saying, earned it? What the Hell does he mean earned it? Im glad you asked. You pose such great questions.
I teach all of my clients the 90% rule. This rule allows you to be 10% non compliant on your diet if you have eaten clean 90% of the time. That is where the “Earned it” comment comes in to play. Let me give you an example of what I am talking about in the simplest way I can.
Say you eat 5 meals a day. That would give you 35 meals in a week. If you ate clean 90% of the time then you would be allowed 3.5 meals to eat what you please. So that takes me back to my wedding cake weekend.
I planned out my week based on the fact that I knew that I wanted my “cheat meals” to be the Rehearsal dinner meal, the Reception dinner meal and yes there were some libations that were consumed during the weekend. So I planned ahead to be able to take advantage of something that I love to eat. Wedding Cake.
So if you know that there is going to be a pot luck at work on Tuesday for lunch and a dinner party on Friday. Make sure you stick to your clean eating at all other meals of the week so that you can enjoy the event that you are at without feeling guilty afterwards.
By adopting this way of eating, you will not set yourself up for the unexpected because you will have planned for it. Look at your schedule each week and note those days where you know there are going to be temptations waiting for you or a special event that you want to celebrate. Be honest with yourself though and make sure you are staying within your 10%. Remember, you have to earn it. Once you earn it, enjoy it. This will also help you to stay on track the other 90% of the time.
Always keeping Fitness and Nutrition Real
Percy Bass RD,LD,CPT
Owner of Head 2 Toe Fitness and Nutrition